Wasim Thajudeen murder: Arrest of four top cops imminent | Daily News

Wasim Thajudeen murder: Arrest of four top cops imminent


The Criminal Investigations Department is likely to arrest four other senior Police officers, including a serving ASP and a retired Senior DIG, in connection with rugby player Wasim Thajudeen’s murder. The CID arrested Sumith Chinthaka Perera, former Crimes OIC of the Narahenpita Police Station, over the same incident on Wednesday. The serving ASP facing imminent arrest was also an OIC

of a police station in the Colombo district at the time of the rugby player’s killing, authoritative Police sources told the Daily News. The Police officers are likely to be arrested on the charges of concealing information about a murder and presenting ‘misrepresented reports’ to court.

It has now been established that the officers of the Crime branch of the Narahenpita Police Station had handled the investigations into the incident and had determined the rugby player’s death as an “accident”.

“Although they determined the death as an accident, the traffic branch of the Police station was never involved in the investigation,” a senior Police spokesperson told the Daily News.

He said there was evidence to suggest that the death was described as an accident following instructions from a very senior Police officer involved in the inquiry.

“The entire inquiry has been handled in a flawed and suspicious manner.

No proper procedures have been followed and there are loopholes everywhere! There is enough evidence to suggest that they had attempted to cover up a heinous crimes,” the spokesperson told yesterday.

The same officer had allegedly held a closed door meeting Thajudeen’s father a few days after the killing and exerted pressure on the family to prevent them pursuing the matter further.

“He had said it was an accident and there was no point in probing the death.

There was, however, prima facie evidence to suggest that it was a crime because Thajudeen’s wallet was found 1.5 km away from the place where he was killed,” a source close to the rugby player’s family said.

CID sources also told the Daily News that investigations were underway to arrest the suspects who were directly involved in Thajudeen’s killing.




Narahenpita former crimes OIC remanded

Lakmal Sooryagoda

Former Crimes OIC of Narahenpita Police Station arrested for allegedly covering up evidence in connection with the murder of former rugby player Wasim Thajudeen and produced before Colombo Additional Magistrate Thilina Gamage yesterday, was ordered to be remanded till May 5.

Meanwhile, the Additional Magistrate ordered prison authorities that a special security arrangement be provided to the former Narahenpita Crimes OIC Sumith Chinthaka Perera at the remand prison.

The Additional Magistrate made this order taking into consideration a request by defence counsel that he be provided a special security at remand prison as he could be harassed by prison inmates. Perera was arrested by the CID on Wednesday for allegedly covering up evidence and misrepresenting information to court regarding Thajudeen’s murder which took place on May 17, 2012.

Appearing on behalf of the suspect, the defence counsel told Court that his client has no involvement in Thajudeen’s murder, but police arrested him for the mere fact that they need a suspect to be arrested.

The defence counsel contended that the arrest of his client is unreasonable as his client has always acted on the instructions of higher ranking police officers.

The magisterial inquiry was held at the police post of the Chief Magistrate’s Court as the CID was unable to produce the suspect before Court on time. The suspect was produced in Court when the Magistrate started to leave the Court premises and arrangements were made to hear the case at the police post.

On July 27, 2015 the CID submitted to Court that the death of Thajudeen was not an accident but a murder.

While delivering the verdict, Colombo Additional Magistrate Nishantha Peiris on February 25 this year ruled that the death appeared to be a murder and ordered the CID Director to immediately arrest all suspects involved in the incident and produce them before Courts.

Thajudeen was killed, apparently, in a road accident in Colombo in May 2012. The CID had informed court that investigations conducted so far had revealed that Thajudeen’s teeth had been broken, the bones in the pelvic region also broken and his neck pierced with a sharp instrument prior to his death.

The CID added that muscles in his legs had been cut with a piece of a broken class. Earlier, police maintained that Thajudeen was driving to the airport and had lost control of his car and crashed into the wall of Shalika Grounds at Park Road, Narahenpita, and that his vehicle had exploded within seconds of the crash.







There are 2 Comments

Add new comment