MP Johnston, Kahandagama named as suspects | Daily News
May 9 fracas

MP Johnston, Kahandagama named as suspects

MPs Sanath Nishantha, Milan further remanded

Thirteen people including Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna Parliamentarians Sanath Nishantha and Milan Jayathilake who were arrested for attacking the Galle Face peaceful protesters in Colombo, were further remanded till June 8.

When the matter was taken up before the Colombo Fort Magistrate Thilina Gamage, Additional Solicitor General Ayesha Jinasena appearing on behalf of the Attorney General’s Department stated that four suspects including Mahinda Kahandagama and Parliamentarian Johnston Fernando were named as the suspects of this case.

She also pointed out that a statement has been recorded from Western Province Senior DIG Deshabandu Tennakoon regarding the incident and his personal and official mobiles were also taken into the custody of CID for further investigations.

ASG Ayesha Jinasena also submitted a report on the summary of evidence against each and every suspect.

President’s Counsel Upul Jayasuriya appearing on behalf of the aggrieved party stated that SDIG Deshabandu Thennakoon should be the main suspect of this case.

President’s Counsel Nalin Ladduwahetty appearing on behalf of Senior Deputy Inspector General of Police Deshabandu Thennakoon stated that his client had taken necessary actions following the instructions given by the IGP on May 8.

He also said that his client had deployed officers as required. “But that morning he received two contradictory calls from the SSP who was in charge of Central Colombo Area. SDIG Tennakoon had also inquired about this from the Public Security Ministry Secretary but SDIG had received conflicting instructions from the Secretary too, President’s Counsel Nalin Ladduwahetty added.

He also stated that after giving a telephone call to the President and obtaining the necessary instructions, steps were taken to disperse the group.

The Magistrate ordered the Inspector General of Police to appoint a senior rank officer to monitor the investigations pertaining to the incident. Accordingly, the IGP recommended Senior DIG Kamal Silva to monitor ongoing investigations.

Inspector General C.D.Wickramaratne appeared before Court yesterday to show cause as to why police failed to transfer Senior DIG Deshabandu Tennakoon in accordance with Attorney General’s advice.

The Magistrate also granted bail to six other suspects after being produced before an identification parade.They were released on two sureties of Rs.1,000,000 each.


Add new comment